Handrail discussion

2005
Thursday, November 3

So.... how come there are some many codes one has to follow for handrails and stairways, but yet plumbing is basically running air through the lines and checking that proper tubes are used?

It boggles the mind how many rules there are to a hand rail. It has to be yay tall, yay wide, have so many brackets every yay inches, if it's yay wide - it has to be yay this, yay inches for finger grasp, 4" between spindles (so that a kids head doesn't get stuck)..... the list goes on. And what's worst.... not only is it measurements, but it reads like a lawyer wrote it. Even my uncle, who's an engineer read it said "what the %&^&&?" to it. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Well... besides that, I found many pics online that I've been inspired by. I'm going to try and match the Arts & Crafts style of the house and use squares and angles. Originally we were going to have our trim guy build the railing, but you know me.... I always have to get complicated and don't go the typical route. I'm sure we'd be talking expensive, and even though we're on a schedule to close at the end of the month, my family and I decided to take on the job ourselves.

We're going to use the bamboo as the spindles, which means that the planks have to be planed down and the tongue and groves cut off. I could order some bamboo plywood, but I have the materials, so why buy extra stuff? The posts will be made out of 4x4 pine, to match the pine trim. I pretty much figured out the design, but we'll have to wait to finalize the handrail and spindles, until the posts are in. The only thing I know is I don't want to go with the traditional mushroom shaped handrail, but there aren't too many choices out there due to codes. Codes suck man!

Annnnnyways....
We did accomplish one thing today, besides discuss the handrail to death, we started on the first post placement. We wanted the first post to be strong, so we cut a square hole in the sub-floor, next to the stairway that the post will slip down into, so we can bolt it to a joist. Coincidentally... and awesomely happy coincidence...., there happens to be a double joist, right where we want to bolt the post to. It's going to be extremely strong, when we're done with it.

Comments

Popular Posts