On site, Sim-Skylights and Kitchen Day

2005
Thursday, April 28

AT THE SITE -
I left work early today to meet up with Mike, our forman and Tim at the site. We met there to discuss the upcoming jobs and talk about the tree, rest of the framing, bathroom windows and meet the plumber.



A storm was moving in at the time we were there, wind was coming straight through the glass door and man was it a bitter wind hitting us. Well... at least we know we'll have some nice breezes coming through the deck door.




Here the guys are preparing the garage door opening for the next step..... but, is it me... or do you just want to say "tickle-tickle"?



I signed some paperwork while there and we also chatted about the height of the hearth, the simulated skylights and the charlie brown tree. Also, while we were there, the framers were moving the bathroom windows into the revised locations.

SIM-SKYLIGHTS?
I like the idea of skylights, but don't like the idea of putting a hole through the roof. So, analyzed the reason why I like skylights and realized it's not really seeing the sky, cause you really can't with them, it's the light and shadows that I enjoy. I decided to have them put simulated or pseudo-skylights. Basically... it's just an inset into the drywall with a light in it that will simulate the lighting/shadows of a real skylight.

And just coincidentally, I would up finding these images in a magaizne of exactly the effect I wanted to achieve.



THE KITCHEN -
After we left the site, we headed over to the kitchen World to discuss our kitchen design. It was definitely an interesting experience. The funny thing is that we had everything all set in our heads, but never took into consideration the constraints of measurements. If I had to do it all over again, I would've asked, a head of time, for dimensions of the cabinets.

Don't get me wrong, it was loads of fun to design our kitchen, it was just frustrating in the sense that we believed that this was the most important thing we wanted to design.... being the one room that will be the most used and seen by all.

We decided on the look of the Harrison, from HomeCrest and a caramel color stained Maple, for the finish. The formica will be the Colorado Slate, with beveled edges.




The main design element that we tried to focus on, was the fireplace, being at a 45 degree angle. We wanted to have that as a theme and used that for the angle of the peninsula. I wanted to be able to sit at the counter and be able to look out through the deck door and since, people always seem to congregate in the kitchen I also wanted it to be a comfortable leaning/sitting area for our guests.




The stove will be facing into the dinning/living room area. Mostly the reason I wanted to kitchen set up like this, is to have a view of the fireplace. I believe, this will be an awesome way to spend cooking... to have a view of my friends leaning on the counter, while a fire crackles in the background :)

Comments

Unknown said…
Kris...I'm so happy that things are starting to get so exciting for you! I love checking in on the progress of your home...how fun to get to see it all the way. Our next door neighbors gave us some pictures of our house when it was built, but it's not the same.
I hope that everything is going well for both you, and Tim, and I can't wait to see your next entry. Congratulations, and good luck!!
Vicky

Popular Posts