Sunday, July 8
After spending most of the day yesterday sanding and spraying polyurethane on the mantel shelves, today I got to install the lower shelf. My Dad and I decided that the best way to do it was to make it a floating shelf, meaning hiding the supports so that it looks like it's "floating". It only partially floats cause most of it will actually be supported by the stonework.
After finding the studs, I drilled 2 holes in the shelf as well as the wall matching them up to the studs. I screwed 2 bolts into the wall, then cut off the heads and pounded on the shelf. It worked well and looks awesome.