Friday, August 22
Anyone that knows me knows that I am sooo not a morning person and somehow I actually managed to get my butt out of bed at 6:30 am, so that we could start work on our deck project at 7.
"And here we go..."
The morning started with Tim, my Dad, uncle Andrew and myself demoing off the siding, in the area that the ledger board will go. This was very disconcerting to watch as a homeowner never wants to see their siding ripped off their home.
In order to protect the house, we installed a 20" tall aluminum flashing, where the ledger would go and slip it underneath the siding. This proved to be not fun, considering by this time it was a hot and humid 86 degrees. The flashing kept getting caught on stuff, like nails under the siding, so we kept having to take it down and cut notches for it to go around. At one point, Tim and I were so frustrated we threw it down and went in for lunch to cool off.... physically and mentally.
After a break Tim and I managed to get it in place and tack it up with aluminum nails. We then calked it with adhesive caulk, for even more protection.
When we cut the ledger board we had to cut out an area for the stupid vent that's right smack in the way of it. That was hardest part... the rest was fairly easy. We leveled it, then temporally screwed it in place while we bolted it up. We had a little assembly line going.... Tim handed off the hardware, my Dad drilled the holes, I countersunk the holes with a spade bit and Andrew ratcheted them in.
After lag bolting the ledger board up, Tim and I caulked it on top and we were done for the day.