Pine Tree - sitting area excavation

2006
Saturday, August 12

Today Tim and I had a fun filled day of dirt. This morning I decided that today was the day to excavate the land around our pine tree for the retaining wall and sitting area. I'm very excited about this project.

I'm sure we could've just as well had Jerry clear the area, but there's just something about doing it yourself that makes it special and gives a true sense of pride. Besides... they always make great stories.

Anyways.... the pine already had a temporary retaining wrap around it, that Tim and I installed back in October, that was about 10 or so feet in diameter. We disassembled it and after much discussion of size and placement, staked out the new area with twine. We decided that the sitting area will be a 12'x12' area. Then.... the hard part....... digging.

We dug for hours. It didn't feel like we were getting anywhere til about noon or so, when the corners started to take shape. My favorite tool to use was the pick-axe. My Dad once told me that was one my grandfather's favorite tools. I guess it runs in the genes.





Just as we were slowing down to take a break, we had some visitors... friends of the family, Mike and Marilyn. Marilyn has seen the house, but this was Mike's first time. Actually... they're kitchen was the one that had inspired the pots and pans drawers in ours.... so I was really excited to show them the kitchen.

After a visit and quick tour, we got back to work. Finally by about 5pm or so, we were done digging. I quickly raked the ground to level the dirt a bit.... and just for fun, I rolled some big stumps into the pit and propped them up as seating. Tim and I took a breather and hung out for a bit relaxing. It reminded me of when the superior walls had been assembled, last year in April, and we sat on the wall afterward.








After a breather, I had done something less involved and finally hung up my butterfly plant holders and my wind twirlers, that I've been meaning to do for a month. I got the plant holders from Big Lots and the wind twirlers from Chiasso.com. I love these twirly things. I don't know what it is about them... but I had to get them... I love watching them twirl. I hung an orange one off the kitchen window, so I can see it everyday. And I hung a green one by the front door.



Comments

Popular Posts