Circle - Wallstone (redo)

2006
Tuesday, September 26

Ah,.... how's that phrase go.... two steps back, one forward.

After finishing the first course of wallstone and starting on the 2nd, we came to the hard conclusion that it was very low. The gravel circle had been built up more than we had expected (which is good), but not for my plans in the center.

For stability, the first course should be buried (below grade). Unfortunately, to get it up to grade, 2 now would be buried. Tim said the simple sulotion, but I didn't want to hear it. That was "redo". Ooohh.... how I didn't want to hear it. Then I talked to my parents, and they said the same darn thing. With 3 people saying it, I had to give in to reason.

My Dad suggested something that I had read about, but had forgotten. A trick to save the first course, (aka money), is to use cinder blocks, instead of stone. The first course is buried anyways, so it doesn't matter what it looks like. So.... that's what Tim and I will do tomorrow..... purchase cinder blocks and redo the first 2 courses.

Comments

Popular Posts