Deck - Level 2 (Left) Decking Started

2008
Tuesday, September 2

My parents came over, when I got home from work, and we started working on the Trex decking for the left level 2 deck. Instead of using the Invisi-Fast Hidden Deck Fasteners we were going to try the Aphano Fasteners. The Invisi-Fast system is easier to do when you can see what you're doing from below the deck.... or at least get your head below for visibility. The Aphano Fasteners are stated to be a total above system. The main deck has space to get below, but the other 3 decks are fairly close to the ground so we decided go with the Invisi-Fast on the main deck and the Aphano Fasteners on the other 3.

Invisi-Fast Hidden Deck Fasteners...
While Dad and I started using the Aphano Fasteners on the Level 2 decking, my Mom was working on the main level. She was working on it alone and wasn't having any issues. And that's really saying something about the Invisi-Fast Fasteners as my Mom has rheumatoid arthritis. The only time she asked for help was when she needed another board cut, so I knew it was good system.

From Deck


From Deck



Aphano Fasteners...
On the other had, Dad and I were having issues with the Aphano Fasteners. We screwed them in, the way the directions stated, but it was really hard fitting the drill in the space we had to screw. The hex screws, they gave, were awkward to use and we kept splitting the fasteners as you had to be very easy on the pressure. The system requires you to put the board in place, draw a line where the joist is, flip it over, screw the fastener to the board, flip it back over and screw it to the joist.

From Deck


From Deck


From Deck



It wasn't as easy as they made it seem on the website and we were all getting frustrated and crabby... esp me. I really wanted this system to work. We gave up for the day and I will try some more boards tomorrow for a better evaluation.

Comments

Popular Posts