Monday, February 6
The last large job left in the house is finishing the main stairway. In order to do this, I needed to disassembling it a little. The spindles were actually temporarily assembled for final inspection and to pass code. They had never been finished with putty, sanded or poly'd.
This is something I wish I had time for, before we moved in as it was going to produce dust, but oh well. I started by prying off the long pine stripe, under the handrail that temporarily holds the spindles in place. Once that was removed, the spindles just pop out.
Before removing the spindles, I numbered all of them for easy reassembly. It was weird to see the stairs without the spindles, it was like going back in time.