Staircase - 2nd coat of poly

2006
Thursday, February 16

Not only was I able to slap on a 2nd coat of poly on the railing, but I had the chance to put the 1st coat on half the steps. I poly'd every other step so that we could still use them.... although I did forget to warn Tim that I had started on the steps, so he did step on one, before I could warm him *oops grin*. Fortunately, however, it was pretty much dry and didn't stick to his sock :)

The staircase is looking good and starting to slowly look finished. It's starting to have a nice muted seen and the poly really brings out the grain. I'm also very happy with the Elmer's wood filler that I had ended the job with. The wood does darken a bit after poly'd and the other putty's I've tried stand out then, but the Elmer's wood filler seems to react the same way and blends right in.

I'm planning on at the least having 4 coats of poly on it. It's high traffic, opposed to the trim we've poly'd. The handrail leading to the lower level has 4 coats and looks awesome, so that's what I'm shooting for.

Comments

Popular Posts