Vole munching issues

2009
Sunday, March 15

So, it seems as though we have Water Vole munching issues. What is a vole, you ask?.... I just found out it is a type of rodent (similar to a field mouse) that loves to gnaw on tender bark of trees and shrubs.

Just when I was excited that the DeerOut & RabbitOut was working great.... now we have water voles. *Sigh*.... what's next???.... jumbo tree eating butterflies???

Apparently Voles are semi-aquatic, which our yard is full of lots of winter wetness. The two ways I figured it out was by their poop and the tunnels they dig.

Voles construct well-defined, visible tunnels, or "runways" at or near the surface, about two inches wide... which we have. Before learning about them I thought maybe they were just expansion cracks from the winter. Though... from my pics they kinda look like crop circles :)

From Landscaping


They also leave cylindrical, round-ended pellets poops... which I have disgustingly found near my poor devoured blue star juniper, in the circle.

From Landscaping


From Landscaping


Amusingly enough.... I had gone to the DeerOut website to see if they had anything.... and they have "CritterOut", for rodents!!!!! Needless to say, I immediately ordered some.

From Tools

Comments

Popular Posts